DescriptionEquipment Management Unit (Position Code 0208)Overview:
Valley Water's Equipment Mechanic II positions perform preventative maintenance inspections, field service, vehicle and equipment repairs, troubleshooting, and emergency repairs for Valley Water's fleet of medium- and heavy-duty vehicles and other power-driven equipment (compactors, cranes, flatbed trucks, and trailers). The Equipment Mechanic II ensures the vehicles used in both the Watersheds and Water Utility construction projects are safe and in good-working order for Valley Water employees, and that the use of those vehicles meets various State, regional, and local laws and regulations.
In addition, this Equipment Mechanic II will specialize in the repair of small engines such as chain saws, string trimmers, generators, pumps, transfer switches, and sprayers, and must have at least three years of experience in this arena. In addition to repairs, they will handle the administrative side of the workshop, problem-solve technical queries, provide advice, speak to staff concerning the repair of their equipment, order and replace workshop consumables, and assist with workshop activities.
The Equipment Mechanic II must have the ability to obtain their Class A Commercial driver's license with hazmat, air brakes and tanker endorsements within six months of hire.Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
Ideal Candidate's Background Includes:
- Inspect and diagnose automobiles, medium and heavy trucks, construction equipment, mobile cranes, and other mechanical equipment; ascertain needed repairs; estimate time, materials and equipment required for jobs assigned; and requisition materials as required.
- Repair various small engine equipment such as chain saws, string trimmers, generators, pumps, transfer switches, and sprayers.
- Maintain and repair construction tools and equipment.
- Repair, clean, adjust and install fuel, ignition, electrical, electronic, steering, suspension, cooling, braking, hydraulic, air conditioning, signaling and other systems.
- Perform preventive maintenance on vehicles and equipment including lubricating and replacing worn parts; replacing tires; performing engine tune-ups, clutch, drive train and brake repair activities.
- Replace component parts on vehicles and equipment; rebuild and overhaul engines; perform safety inspections on vehicles and equipment.
- Maintain, adjust, diagnose, and repair transmissions; road test vehicles for performance and safety; install, adjust and maintain emission control devices for gasoline and diesel engines, head lamps and brakes to meet State specifications.
- Inspect newly acquired vehicles and prepare them for Valley Water service.
- Read and interpret service manuals, parts lists, drawings and specifications.
- Perform various skills including occasional welding and minor fabrication.
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.Ideal Experience:
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
- Three (3) plus years of automobile (medium and heavy trucks), mechanical equipment and construction equipment repair and maintenance experience.
- Significant experience performing repairs on small engines such as chain saws, string trimmers, generators, pumps, transfer switches, and sprayers.
- Experience working on boat motors is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with hydraulic systems and the ability to do routine welding and fabrication work.
- Proficient with tools, equipment and procedures used in the service, repair and adjustment of small engines, automobiles, specifically medium and heavy trucks, construction equipment, and gas- and diesel-powered equipment.
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose problems and causes in automotive, diesel construction and related systems.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely and work independently in the absence of supervision.
Ideal Training and Education:
- Knowledge of principles, practices, methods, and materials used in the servicing and maintenance of automobiles, medium and heavy trucks, construction equipment, and small engines.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of troubleshooting/ diagnosing equipment malfunctions and equipment and tools used in routine welding and fabrication.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety practices.
Required License or Certificate
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification is preferred but not required.
- Ability to obtain a Class A Commercial driver's license with hazmat, air brakes and tanker endorsements within six months of hire.
- Additional specialized training in equipment repair, mechanics or a related field is desirable.
Must have a satisfactory driving record, a valid California driver's license, and be able to obtain a valid Class A driver's license with air brakes and tanker endorsements within six months of appointment.
Selected candidate will be required to successfully pass a medical examination and a drug and alcohol screening.To review the Classification Specification, please click here Selection Process
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following:application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above.Resumes are highly recommended.NOTE:
Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary. Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities.Please advise the Office of Talent and Inclusion in advance of any special needs by calling 1-408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned.The Office of Talent and Inclusion staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
Closing Date/Time: 4/29/2020 11:59 PM Pacific