Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent plus four(4) years of experience in commercial/industrial electrical installations.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to obtain a State of Texas Electrical Journeyman License within six (6) months from date of employment.
- Valid Texas Class "C" Driver License.
Notes to Applicants
This position will perform apprentice-level electrical diagnostics on motors and motor controls, substation switch-gear and electrical distribution systems, and lighting systems within Austin Water process facilities.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more - click HERE for more information. Additionally, this position offers a career progression plan, which provides a unique opportunity to promote without having to go through the competitive process. As employees go through on-the-job training to develop new skills and abilities and obtain the appropriate license, they are eligible to submit for Career Progression, which allows them to demonstrate knowledge and skills without having to interview for the promotion.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
If you are selected to interview:
- This position requires experience in commercial/industrial electrical installations, not residential. Please include all of your relevant work experience that meets this requirement.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered. Your work history should include the duties you performed, and any related equipment and computer software used.
- A résumé may be submitted, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter may also be submitted. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job will be assessed through an in-person skills testing appointment in Austin, TX.
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- And are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
This position requires a Valid Texas Class "C" Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin's Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
Confined Space Entry Requirements:
- This position will require that you be able to perform the following essential job functions with confidence and with or without reasonable accommodations: carrying or lifting up to 50 lbs., pushing or pulling up to 50 lbs., sitting, standing, walking, lying, climbing stairs and ladders, reaching overhead, kneeling, crawling, stooping/bending, twisting, repetitive foot and hand movement, driving, grasping and squeezing, ability to wear personal protective equipment including a self-contained breathing apparatus, exposure to extreme weather conditions, atmospheric conditions, hazardous conditions, and very loud noise.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete and pass a pre-employment physical exam to be considered for this position, which includes a Functional (FC) strength/agility test.
This position will require you to work scheduled and unscheduled overtime, outside of normal operating hours. It will also require you to participate in an on-call shift rotation program and respond to after-hours emergencies. Both the overtime and on-call shifts may require you to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Candidates must be able to work in environments which may have hazardous atmospheres or in confined spaces where there is limited or restricted means for entry and exit, or where the activities of an employee are hindered.
- Candidates must be able to perform duties with confidence at sites where climbing heights of up to 200 feet is required on ladders that support up to 300 lbs., and descending into confined spaces up to 100 feet deep with the use of a required SRL body harness that supports up to 283 lbs.
- Candidates must be able to qualify for Austin Water's Respiratory Protection Program.
All Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
$30.43 per hour
Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 3616 South First Street, Austin, TX 78704
- Current State of Texas Journeyman Electrician License (or higher)
- Knowledge, training, and experience performing installations, maintenance, and diagnostics on 600v-5kv motors and motor controls, switchgear and 15kv electrical distribution systems
- Experience working with solid state devices used in the operations of substation distribution equipment and process/motor control systems
- Experience working in a water utility or similar industrial environment
- Experience working on energized electrical power systems
- Basic computer skills
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Assists in performing electrical diagnostics, calibrations, maintenance and repairs on 2.5kv to 12.5kv substation switchgears, distribution equipment, protective relays, breakers, battery banks and capacity trip systems.
- Assists in performing diagnostics, maintenance and repairs on 600v-5kv motors and motor control systems, using schematics, vibration analysis, multi-meter, amp probe, megohmmeter, surge tester, and hand tools.
- Assists in performing diagnostics, maintenance and repairs on various types of process control systems related to treatment plant facilities.
- Assists in repairing and installing electrical distribution equipment, including but not limited to conduit, conductors, breakers, panel boards, disconnects, transformers, switches and receptacles.
- Assists in repairing various lighting systems, including building lighting, area lighting, street lights, ballasts, bulbs, capacitors, igniters, contactors, and photo cells. Some repairs require use of a bucket truck.
- Assists in performing preventative maintenance on all electrical equipment for treatment plant and remote location facilities while adhering to Austin Water Utility standard operating procedures and safety protocols.
- Assists in coordinating 15kv switching for maintenance repairs and power outages with electrical utility providers and Austin Water Utility facilities during electrical outages or switching.
- Participates in on-call program and scheduled/unscheduled overtime.
- Maintains records of electrical maintenance activities using various software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Drives personal and/or City of Austin vehicles on official business and must maintain a driver record that meets the City of Austin's standards.
- Safely perform operations and maintenance tasks including confined spaces and hazardous environments; may function as confined-space entry supervisor.
- Perform maintenance tasks in confined spaces up to 100 feet deep and requiring the use of SRL Body Harness that supports 283 pounds.
- Perform maintenance tasks that require climbing to heights of up to 200 feet on ladders that support up to 300 lbs.
- Perform maintenance tasks that require lifting and/or carrying equipment or supplies weighing up to 50 lbs. unassisted.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of installation, operation, and maintenance of electrical equipment and instruments
- Knowledge of the laws, theories, rules, and standards pertaining to electrical construction and maintenance, including maintenance and repair of electrical substation and utility distribution systems
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures
- Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing
- Skill in using computers and related software applications
- Skill in planning and organizing
- Ability to use power line electrician's tools and equipment in performing all phases of line construction, operations and maintenance work
- Ability to read, interpret, and modifies blueprints, schematics, diagrams, and drawing control circuits
- Ability to tap and splice cable
- Ability to work in confined areas among high voltage energized lines.
- Ability to learn principles of electrical theory as applied to transformers, switches, and equipment
- Ability to respond quickly and perform strenuous work under emergency and all weather conditions
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the general public
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities
- Ability to operate and select proper breathing apparatus, respirators, which includes SCBA and atmospheric monitors, in compliance with Utility Respiratory Protection Policy/Procedures
- Ability to work in environments which may have hazardous atmospheres
- Ability to climb ladders and work at heights of up to 200 feet
- Ability to work in confined spaces where there is limited or restricted means for entry and exit, or where the work activities may be hindered by energized equipment and electrical voltage
- Ability to safely wear Anti-fall ( SRL ) body harness for confined space entry that supports up to 283 lbs
This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent plus four(4) years of experience in commercial/industrial electrical installations. Do you meet these requirements?
* Please describe how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
(Open Ended Question)
* This position requires a valid Texas Class C Driver License. Do you have a valid Texas Class C Driver license or, if selected for this position, do you the ability to acquire a valid Texas Class C Driver license by your hire date?
* Which of the following best describes your current electrical licensure status?
- Have a current State of Texas Journeyman Electrician License
- Do not have a current State of Texas Journeyman Electrician License but able to obtain one within six (6) months of employment
- Do not have a current State of Texas Journeyman Electrician License and not able to obtain one within six (6) months of employment
* Briefly describe your experience related to the installation, maintenance and diagnostics of electrical distribution and process/motor control systems on equipment rated greater than 600 volts.
(Open Ended Question)
* Briefly describe your experience related to the installation, maintenance and diagnostics of 15kv electrical substation distribution equipment and process control systems.
(Open Ended Question)
* Briefly describe the types of electrical test equipment you have experience using and provide examples of the diagnostics you performed.
(Open Ended Question)
* Briefly describe your experience working with solid state devices used in the operations of substation distribution equipment and process/motor control systems.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience working in a water utility or similar industrial environment.
(Open Ended Question)
* Briefly describe your experience working on energized electrical power systems: Include voltages, tasks and years experience.
(Open Ended Question)
* Select the skill level that best describes your proficiency with computers.
- No experience or not proficient
- Basic proficiency with computers
- Intermediate proficiency with computers
- Advanced proficiency with computers
* The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City's Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
* This position requires that you be able to work in confined spaces which include the use of a Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and other confined space equipment. Will you be able to meet these requirements (with or without reasonable accommodation)?
* This position will require you to be able to occasionally carry, lift, push, or pull up to 50 lbs. unassisted, wear personal protective equipment, be exposed to extreme weather conditions, atmospheric and hazardous conditions and very loud noise. This position will require that you be able to perform duties with confidence climbing heights of up to 200 feet on ladders that support up to 300 lbs., descending into confined spaces up to 100 feet deep with the use of a SRL Body Harness that supports up to 283 lbs. Are you able to perform these duties with or without reasonable accommodations?
* This position will require you to work scheduled and unscheduled overtime, outside of the M-F, 7:00 am - 3:30 pm normal operating hours. It will also require you to participate in an On-Call Shift rotation program and respond to after-hours emergencies. Both the overtime and On-Call shift can require you to work, nights, weekends and holidays. Can you meet this requirement?
* How did you first hear of this position?
- Career Fair or Job Fair
- Job Seeker Website (Indeed, Glassdoor, Dice, WorkinTexas.com, Careers in Government, etc.)
- College/University Alumni Recruitment (Handshake, job boards, etc.)
- Recruitment Postcard
- COA/AW Employee (please provide name below) or COA website
- Professional Association Job Board (AWWA, Women in Technology, Austin HR Management Association, TX Engineering Foundation, etc.))
Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee's full name.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents Cover Letter Resume