Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in Accounting, CPA license may substitute for the education requirement.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
NoneNotes to Applicants
The purpose of this position is to position is to prepare reconciliations of labor, equipment, materials, and contract expenses for FEMA Disaster expense reimbursement accounting through analysis and maintenance of electronic files, databases, and accounting documents. This position will also prepare deposits, ProCard Payments and allocations using Microsoft WORKS , and payments to vendors through the use of Advantage 3. This position may also act as a back-up role to other general accounting tasks such as loan reconciling loan repayments for ARR's Brownfields Revolving Loan fund Grant or preparing receivables, cash receipts, and journal voucher adjusting entries through the use of Advantage 3.
A competency assessment may be required to verify your skill set.
This posting may be used to fill other similar positions within Austin Resource Recovery outside of the division listed above.
A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Your application should reflect your complete employment history (to include all job duties responsibilities and employment dates) on your online application. The application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered (e.g., "see resume" or "see Linked In Profile"). The responses to the supplemental questions inquiring about experience should be reflected on your application.
If you are selected for this position and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations. Go to the Driver Safety Program for more information:
Click Here To View Driver Safety Program
Veteran candidates will be required to provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of interview.
Each individual who submits an Application as provided in the Municipal Civil Service Rules and meet the Minimum Qualifications for a Competitive Position shall be considered a Candidate for that Position. Employees, in Good Standing, who are Candidates within the Department or division that the Position resides in and who meet the Minimum and Preferred Qualifications (if any) of the Position will be included in the initial interview.
NOTE : All Austin Resource Recovery locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any ARR worksite - including parking lot or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.Pay Range
8:00am - 5:00pm, Mon - Fri
Employee may be required to work some early mornings (6:00 am), after hours and some weekends due to business needs. Job Close Date
05/07/2020 Type of Posting
Austin Resource Recovery Regular/Temporary
Temporary Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
1520 Rutherford Lane, Austin, TX 78754 Preferred Qualifications
Experience in Government Accounting
Experience in preparing or reviewing payments
Experience with FEMA Disaster expense reconciliations of labor, equipment, materials, and contracts.
Experience in analyzing and interpreting large volumes of financial data.
Advanced experience with Excel
Ability to travel to more than one work location Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Maintains general ledger information and reviews financial transactions by creating and/or monitoring electronic files and/or accounting documents.
Maintains accounting ledgers by posting/reviewing accounting transactions of intermediate dollar-value and complexity, insuring transactions are processed in accordance with City policy, applicable laws and regulations, generally accepted accounting principles ( GAAP ), and sound business practices.
Processes revenue collections and/or customer payments; prepares analysis of delinquent accounts, calculating/assessing delinquent fines/fees for supervisor/manager review; prepares accruals and/or other accounting entries in accordance with City policy, applicable laws and regulations, generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP .
Prepares grant accounting entries and reconciliations by compiling and analyzing general ledger account information.
Reconciles general ledger and/or bank accounts and resolves account discrepancies by reconciling statements and transactions and investigating supporting documentation.
Prepares financial statements and/or special reports by preparing balance sheets, income statements, cash flows, and/or other special reports at an intermediate level; collecting, analyzing, and summarizing general ledger account information and trends; conducting variance analysis; applying intermediate skills and knowledge of accounting and reporting requirements of generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP .
Prepares audit work papers for annual or special audit by preparing accurate supporting work papers at an intermediate level for assigned area(s) or funds; work is reviewed by other staff; providing explanations of City policy/procedures and responding to auditor's questions/requests in a timely and accurate manner.
Prepares asset, liability, inventory, and/or capital accounting entries by compiling and analyzing general ledger account information.
Assists departments and other customers by providing procedural/financial information and/or other information and guidance with automated or manual systems.
Carries out projects by completing projects of moderate complexity and/or completing parts of complex projects.
Maintains financial security by following established internal accounting controls.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of bookkeeping procedures.
Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles ( GAAP ).
Knowledge of the preparation process of financial statements in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles.
Knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
Skill in effective verbal and written communication.
Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
Skill in processing large volumes of numerical data.
Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
Skill in classifying fiscal data and compiling fund level statements and reports.
Skill in operating a personal computer and related equipment.
Skill in designing spreadsheets and utilizing word processing and database software.
Skill in analyzing, preparing, checking and balancing routine fiscal transactions and accounts.
Ability to prepare accurate financial statements at an intermediate level of complexity.
Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the publicCriminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications of this position are graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in Accounting, CPA license may substitute for the education requirement. Do you meet the minimum qualifications of this position?
* Please provide a brief description of how you meet the minimum qualifications listed for this position - to include, meeting the educational requirements, years of related experience and substitutions.
(Open Ended Question)
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background check (CBI)?
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* Please describe your experience in Government Accounting. Please indicate which position(s) in your application provided this experience, what role you played and for how long. If you do not have this experience, please answer "N/A".
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience in preparing or reviewing payments. Please indicate which position(s) in your application provided this experience, what role you played and for how long. If you do not have this experience, please answer "N/A".
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience with FEMA Disaster expense reconciliations of labor, equipment, materials, and contracts. Please indicate which position(s) in your application provided this experience, what role you played and for how long. If you do not have this experience, please answer "N/A".
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience in analyzing and interpreting large volumes of financial data. Please indicate which position(s) in your application provided this experience, what role you played and for how long. If you do not have this experience, please answer "N/A".
(Open Ended Question)
* Indicate your highest skill level in Microsoft Excel.
- Beginner: skill level includes data entry, basic formatting (page setup, column width, etc.), creating spreadsheets, etc.
- Intermediate: skill level includes basic calculations, use of functions, complex formatting (cell manipulation, etc.), charts/graphs (static), etc.
- Advanced: skill level includes pivot tables, V Lookups, formula creation, use of functions for formula creation, etc.
- Expert: skill level includes macros creation, complex formula creation/manipulation, charts/graphs (dynamic), create database queries, etc.
- None of the above
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents