The ideal candidate will be responsible for the supervision and review of the work of construction contractors and their sub-contractors; managing work assignments, coordinating with contractors, and assuring the quality of the services provided by the construction contractors for the Capital Improvement Projects performed for the City of Pearland.
This class works independently, under limited supervision, reporting major activities through periodic meetings. Essential Functions:
Responsibilities, Requirements and Impacts
- Enters data into the computer system to produce accurate contract documents.
- Prepares daily progress reports for departmental administration and record keeping'
- Assist in design phase direction of consultant efforts'
- Assists Project Managers in the selection of bid procedures and contractors'
- Tracks and schedules progress on all assigned in-field construction activities record correct and process payments for scheduled work and change orders'
- Provides oversight and control of special contracts and payment applications.
- Assigns tasks and supervises/ reviews work of Project Coordinator(s)'
- Interacts with outside agencies to coordinate construction efforts between city projects and those of other entities.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Coordinates or determines time, place or sequence of operations or activities based on analysis of data or information and may implement and report on operations and activities.
- Persuades or influences others in favor of a service, point of view, or course of action; may enforce laws, rules, regulations, or ordinances.
- Requires responsibility and opportunity for achieving moderate economies and/or preventing moderate losses through the management of a small division; handles supplies of high value or moderate amounts of money consistent with the operation of a small division.
- Uses mathematics involving the practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions; or measurements, logarithmic, or geometric construction; may use algebraic solutions of equations and inequalities, descriptive statistics, deductive geometry, plane and solid and rectangular coordinates; mathematical and classifications or schemes.
- Reads technical journals, abstracts, financial reports; speaks before professional and civic groups; participates in panel discussions and speaks extemporaneously on a variety of subjects; writes complex articles, reports and develops presentations for sophisticated audiences.
- Responsible for the actions of others, requiring development of procedures and constant decisions affecting subordinate workers, clients or others in the general public; works in a very fluid environment with guidelines, but significant variation.
- Performs work involving the application of principles of logical thinking to diagnose or define problems, collect data and solve abstract problems with widespread unit or organization impact; requires sustained, intense concentration for accurate results and continuous exposure to unusual pressures.
- The impact of errors is moderately serious affects work unit and may affect other units or citizens.
- Performs light work that involves walking or standing most of the time and involves exerting up to 20 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis, or skill, adeptness and speed in the use of fingers, hands or limbs on repetitive operation of electronic office equipment within moderate tolerances or limits of accuracy.
- Handles or uses work aids involving moderate latitude for judgment regarding attainment of a standard or in selecting appropriate items.
- Involves routine and frequent exposure to traffic; moving machinery.
- Requires some responsibility for safety and health of others and/or for occasional enforcement of the standards of public safety or health.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent; AND four years of public sector construction inspection experience with at least 2 years at a supervisory level. A bachelor's degree or higher in the fields of management, construction or engineering may be substituted for actual construction experience on a year for year basis.
Emergency Management Responsibilities
- Principles and techniques of reading engineering plans and construction specifications.
- Safety precautions, rules, and regulations for construction sites.
- Methods and techniques of inspecting buildings and infrastructure.
- Materials, methods, tools, and equipment used in public works construction projects.City geography, traffic patterns, streets, landmarks, and PWD facility locations.
- State and federal technical codes and regulations governing public works construction projects, including Texas State Department of Transportation (TxDOT) standards, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) water quality regulations, and ADA accessibility standards.
During emergency conditions, all City employees are subject to being called to work in the event of a disaster, such as a hurricane, or other emergency situation and are expected to perform emergency service duties, as assigned. Organization-wide Employee Responsibilities
All City of Pearland employees must serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of the City of Pearland's Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
All employees must establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, familial status, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity and expression.
To optimize performance of the organization City of Pearland employees are expected to use multi-directional communication (top to bottom, bottom to top, and across peer groups), use cross-functional teams to promote a greater understanding of the organization by employees at all levels, create to a culture of continuous learning that encourages and supports employee development and growth, embrace technology with a focus on improving service delivery, productivity and connectivity, and create an environment where innovation is supported and encouraged.