- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Engineering or a related degree, plus six (6) years of professional-level supervisory/management experience in Engineering, Project Management, or a related field.
- Graduation with a Master's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years of professional-level supervisory/management experience in Engineering, Project Management, or a related field.
Licenses or Certifications:
Must be a licensed Professional Engineer or Registered Architect in the State of Texas or have the ability to become licensed by reciprocity.Notes to Applicants
Under nominal direction, the Assistant Director develops, plans, and implements engineering programs, capital improvement projects, project delivery, and neighborhood connectivity developments of Public Works for the City of Austin. The Assistant Director will oversee 170 FTEs and an operating budget of $28 million, plus a capital improvement budget of $1.5 billion.
About the Public Works Department:
The City of Austin's Public Works Department designs, manages, and inspects major capital improvement projects; promotes bicycle, pedestrian, safe routes to school, and urban trail projects; and maintains the City's network of trails, roadways, and bridges after they are built. The Neighborhood Partnering Program provides opportunities for community and neighborhood organizations to effect public improvements by sharing in the costs of those efforts with the City of Austin government. The Public Works Department has 593 FTEs and an FY2020 operating budget of $124 million.
How to Apply:
- To apply, candidates must submit a cover letter and a comprehensive resume to www.srnsearch.com/apply. Pick City of Austin, Tx (Asst Dir PW Engr & Project Delivery) from the drop down menu and complete the required fields.
- A recruitment brochure that outlines this exciting opportunity can be found by clicking here.
- The first review of resumes will begin on January 29, 2020.
- Resumes will be screened according to the qualifications outlined in the recruitment brochure.
- Screening interviews with the most qualified applicants will be conducted by S. Renée Narloch & Associates to determine a select group of finalist candidates who will be asked to provide references.
- References will be contacted only following candidate consent.
- Final interviews will be held with the City of Austin.
- Candidates will be advised of the status of the recruitment following the selection of the Assistant Director.
Questions regarding this recruitment may be directed to:
Mr. Elliott Pervinich, Vice President
S. Renée Narloch & Associates
email@example.com | 850.391.0000Pay Range
8am-5pm, M-F, Council/Board/Commission meetings, and other hours as business demandsJob Close Date Type of Posting
Public Works Regular/Temporary
Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
505 Barton Springs Road, Floor 8, Austin, TX 78704 Preferred Qualifications Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Directs assigned division and section activities, including audits of existing facilities, equipment, and personnel to ensure effectiveness and efficiency. Identifies and analyzes trends and determines methodologies to implement changes.
Develops and implements short- and long-range plans, programs, and personnel that provide administrative and managerial support, fiscal management, program planning, and evaluation.
Determines goals, objectives, and resource requirements for activities within assigned divisions.
Develops, revises, and implements standard operating practices, policies, and procedures within assigned divisions. Ensures divisions are in compliance with all City practices, policies, and procedures.
Develops and reviews engineering design and criteria, project delivery, neighborhood connectivity programs, Capital Improvement Projects ( CIP ), CIP tracking systems, and project budgets and expenditures with variance explanations.
Reviews, approves, and implements quality and safety systems and programs.
Assists in the preparation, presentation, and monitoring of departmental budget.
Represents the department at City Council meetings, citizens groups, and boards and commission meetings .
Provides support to other City departments and agencies as needed.
Investigates and resolves Citizen inquiries and complaints.
Reviews, analyzes, and prepares both written and oral reports.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation.
- Knowledge of City practices, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of technical aspects of maintenance and repair operations.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in managing multiple programs, projects, and tasks.
- Skill in negotiations and handling conflict resolution.
- Skill in analyzing complex data from various sources, synthesizing collected information, and developing sound decisions/recommendations.
- Skill in developing, reviewing, monitoring, and evaluating contracts for services and/or materials.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and programs simultaneously within approved budgets.
- Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events.
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent communication and working relationships with City personnel and the public.
- Ability to organize, analyze, interpret, and evaluate scientific civil engineering problems and provide practical, cost effective solutions.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents