DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
EXAM NUMBER: Y5783AOPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY
ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: 08/03/2010
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION.DEFINITION:
Under general supervision, operates magnetic resonance imaging scanners to obtain a full-range of images of delicate anatomical structures for physicians to diagnose pathological and traumatic disorders.
Essential Job Functions
- Receives and reviews physician's request for imaging procedure and identifies the patient.
- Screens patients for safety and informs patient concerning the procedure.
- Reviews and complies with pertinent patient history, physical examinations and supporting clinical data to facilitate diagnostic results.
- Transfers, positions, and instructs patients in preparation for procedures.
- Elicits the cooperation of patients by explaining procedure, and comforts those who fear magnetic resonance examination by providing assurance.
- Selects appropriate imaging techniques and operates console and peripheral hardware and software.
- Selects and computes machine settings to compensate for such variances as patient size, age, gender, and tissue density.
- Inserts an intravenous (IV) line into a vein in the hand or arm, and injects contrast material into the intravenous line.
- Performs a full-range of head, neck, spine, thorax, abdomen, pelvis, vascular, musculoskeletal, and special imaging procedures.
- Inspects images for quality and completeness, prepares and maintains records and files of procedures, and makes copies of images when requested.
- Performs appropriate quality assurance procedures, tests, and measurements; on a continuous basis, insures equipment is functioning properly, and advises supervisor of problems.
- Assists in the clinical training of magnetic resonance technology students and MRI Technologists by demonstrating selection of machine control settings, positioning the patient, and checking for and identifying acceptable image quality.
- Assists in the use of a variety of equipment and procedures not routinely employed and the development of new techniques or procedures when needed.
- Serves as lead MRI Technologist when needed.
- Participates in continuing education programs in MRI techniques.
Requirements MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
One year of experience as an MRI Technologist I* in the County of Los Angeles - OR - graduation from a magnetic resonance imaging training program - AND - one year of post registration experience as a magnetic resonance imaging technologist.LICENSE:
Registration in Magnetic Resonance Imaging by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) - OR - American Registry of Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologists (ARMRIT) (and completion of a 12 month, or longer, course in magnetic imaging technology which included a clinical training component) is required. A California Venipuncture Certificate that allows venous access must be obtained within four months of appointment.PHYSICAL CLASS III - Moderate:
Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching: includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objet weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.Desirable Qualifications
MRI Technician Associate Degree from an accredited** college.
Bachelor Degree in Health Science or a closely related field from an accredited** college or university.
Additional Information Special Requirement Information:
*Experience in the County of Los Angeles as a MRI Technologist I, is defined as: under immediate supervision, operates magnetic resonance imaging scanners to obtain routine images of delicate anatomical structures for physicians to diagnose pathological and traumatic disorders.
**In order to receive credit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such as a Associates's degree, or for completion of a certificate program from a trade school under the desirable qualifications, you MUST
include a legible photocopy of the official diploma, official transcripts, official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization; or official license or certificates with your application within 15 calendar days of filing online. Special Information:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.Available Shift:
This examination will consist of an evaluation of experience and desirable qualifications, based on application information weighted at 100%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.
Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.
The resulting eligible register from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur.Eligibility Information:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score on the examination will be added to the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.
APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
from the Class Specification and Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.NOTE:
If you are unable to attach required documents, you must fax them to 323-869-0942 or email the documents to the exam analyst, within 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security number (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Germine Margosian, Exam Analyst
GMargosian@dhs.lacounty.govADA COORDINATOR PHONE:
(323) 914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE: